Monday 17 May 2010

After a miserable weekend that not only comprised of shopping a general errands a full weekend of boxing the casualty,
I managed to miss the 3 round demolition of Kevin Mitchell by Michael Katsidis which, I must be honest I'm devastated Kevin could not come away with a win , I still think Kevin can be a Ricky Hatton of the next generation, he's a salt of the earth guy, an ex railway worker with a come forward and bang attitude (although Katsidis taught him a lesson) who everyman in Britain can relate with and get behind. Rumours in the boxing world came out that Kevin cut corners in his preparation for the fight and if theres anything we know in this game its that fights are won and lost in the gym and on the road weeks before the bell goes but, any way I digress I have every faith in him that he can put himself back on track.
Danny Williams fought Derek Chisora on the Mitchell undercard. Dereck stopped him in the second does anyone care? I know I don't.
That brings me on to the main event of the evening. Amir Kahn up against the mouth that is Paulie Malinaggi when this fight was first announced my first reaction was it was a safe fight for Amir to take. Paulie would never be able to beat Amir in a month of Sundays. I believe Paulie does not posses the power to hurt anyone as Amir can testify he never seemed to be hurt but in the other corner Paulie's face started to make up halfway through the second round. Overall it was a good performance against a well known fighter.
I think Amir will be frustrated by how many shots he needlessly took against a guy that struggled to find his timing and rhythm as well as being an awkward fighter in general.
We saw Paulie crossing his feet and windmilling his punches in and at times making the fight look little more than a schoolyard brawl but totally compelling to watch. In terms of the $$$ it is definitely a step up for Kahn and I hope he will continue to work with Freddy Roach. I can see another 2-3 fights (maybe another belt along the way) with Kahn mentioning an interest in fighting unbeaten WBO light-welterweight champion Timothy Bradley or unbeaten WBC and IBF light welterweight champion Devon Alexander and and who knows maybe even catching prettyboy Floyd at the end of his career?
If no one will fight Paul Williams then that's a fight I would love to see but that's just my pie in the sky!
One thing cannot be denied is that he is getting better with every fight and needs to fight the Maidina's of the world, I really think Kahn can go very far and lead the division when Floyd is in jail for tax evasion or sharing a flat with Tyson and Manny is the president of the Philippine's