Wednesday 5 May 2010

Calzaghe-Hopkins II BATTLE OF THE BUS PASS

In the aftermath of the Mayweather-Mosley bout a rumour has emanated from Richard Schaefer of Golden boy promotions that Joe Calzaghe has expressed an interest in a rematch with Bernard Hopkins.

Bernard has also apparently mentioned to Oscar de la Hoya his desire to fight Joe again following his win last month against Roy Jones Jr.

This claim has been refused by Joe’s father and trainer Enzo Calzaghe stating that he would know before anyone else and adding he is against the fight…………..

Now, time for my opinion.

Yes I believe both parties want the fight to happen. Bernard for the recognition and glory and to avenge his previous defeat to the Welshman back in 2008 and better the feat attempted by Shane Mosely on the weekend.

Joe Calzaghe……. I have no idea why he would want this fight, he battled hard for years to get the recognition I and the rest of Wales knew he deserved and eventually he got it, you could argue till the cows come home about why Joe didn’t go to America sooner. Was he scared? I don’t think so was he protected? Maybe.
Joe has come out of the game on top and with his looks and finances intact the only reason I can fathom is he cannot adjust back into civilisation like we hear from so many ex-fighters “Cough” Mike Tyson or perhaps he wants to re-ignite the Calzaghe promotions that seems to be grade a flop.
But anyway it is what it is.

This fight will sell and make money no question and I see it being a great fight. Pick a winner? Pass

Joe will be 38 if he does comeback and Bernard is…. Umm… I don’t know but archaeologists have found evidence in caves in south America that suggest he was around in 10,000 BC

What is worrying for me is that the world will watch this fight, as will I but it leaves me worrying about the future of the sport when the world will pay to see dinosaurs fight.

But thank goodness for young fighters like Kel Brooke, Amir Kahn and Saul Alvarez (who gave a better performance than Mayweather-Mosley)