Wednesday 26 January 2011

What makes the 6 Nations so special?

This is my favourite time of year, the mornings start to get lighter and I find I dont need to de-ice the car as much and
our club players return home to do battle with the neighbours.

The six nations truley is for me the best competion in world sport who wants to watch Namibia play Russia in the WC at terrible GMT's thousands of miles away?
or Ronaldo diving as if sniper has picked him off?
When have you ever seen the roads and shops empty when the champions league final has been on?

The only sporting events that comes close to emulating the universal appeal is Wimbledon or maybe the Ryder Cup

The six nations is made great by little moments that will stay with you for a lifetime, it's Gibbs side stepping everyone in 1999 and knowing if there had been a pitch invasion he still would have made it to the line, it's Italy beating Scotland in 2000 in their first game in the tournament. its Gavin Henson lifting Luke Tait under one arm like a roll of lino.

My fondest 6 Nations memory may come as no surprise but it's 2005 Wales beating Ireland at home, Mike Ruddock was the man in charge. I remember clear as day Brian O'Driscoll turning over Welsh ball and Ronan O'Gara to try to clear but paused only to be charged down by Gethin Jenkins showing his footballing skills before touching down to put us 10-3 up. I then berated Gavin Henson for attempting a kick at goal from well within his own half but I quickly stopped. I then went into overdrive when Shane forced Irish No 8 Anthony Foley into touch 5 metres out.

That morning I went for breakfast with the boys from the club and made our way to the local rugby club to watch the game. we got there early and I think the first beer dissapeared abot 10 ish! we filled our table with empties as the club filled to well over capacity. The bar ran out of glasses and used plastic ones instead.
People turned up with patio chairs, inflatable chairs and even beanbags by game time it was like a fair, the walls were soaked with condensation. The half time line for curry and rice stretched out the door.
When the final whistle went the place exploded, beer and peanuts flew and we shouted in awe. everything after that................ I don't remember!